Mashed and riced cauliflower are all the rage right now. Here’s a recipe that adds the rich smoky flavor of Smoked Gouda to an otherwise bland vegetable. Other flavors would also be wonderful, Jalapeno Gouda for instance.
Smoky Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, finely chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Smoked Gouda
- Sour cream (optional)
- Fresh chives, chopped (optional)
Add the cauliflower to a medium-sized saucepan along with the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the roasted garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the milk and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Mix in the cheese and taste for seasoning. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and garnish with sour cream and chives.