Appel begins with the letter A. This fact is really important at church potlucks because: “If your last name begins with A-M, please bring a salad. If your last name begins with N-Z, please bring a dessert.” I’m kinda sad that I never get to bring a dessert, I love to make desserts. Someday I might sneak in with a dessert to see if the hospitality committee notices. I think the elder board would back me up, they like dessert.
In case I decide that I’m being too passive aggressive for a church potluck, I have a new salad recipe ready. It makes a nice big bowl full and it’s yummy for any potluck! If you are lucky enough to have a name that starts with N-Z then this salad would be great for a light dinner. It’s perfect paired with crunchy artisan bread and iced tea.
Shrimp Orzo Salad
- 1 pound orzo
- juice from one lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil.
- Cook orzo according to the package directions. Drain well then toss the hot orzo in the lemon and oil. Cool orzo, then add the pine nuts, shrimp, feta, and chives.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve chilled