When Elizabeth and I decided to dedicate our September recipes to football season, I asked friends what they would want served at a football party. I am surrounded by football fans of every age so the response was wonderful. Friends shared their passion for the game, the camaraderie, and pride for their favorite team. Best of all, I got some great ideas for what to serve at a football party. They came with their bling and their appetites, these people are the best.
One suggestion was a sweet treat that is easy to grab and go so I decided to make Whoopie Pies. I started with a classic recipe but added Quark for extra moisture. I also used Dutch process cocoa and coffee to increase the depth of the flavor and give the recipe a contemporary touch.
- 1/2 cup Dutch Process cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Quark
- Whisk the cocoa and hot coffee together in a small bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluggy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and cocoa mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Gradually add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Add the Quark, then the remainder of the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into a large ziplock bag. Cut off one corner and pipe the batter onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. I piped it in a two inch line widening it in the center to form an oval. This makes a about 2 dozen pies, but you can make them bigger or smaller.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread filling (recipe below) on half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Decorate with royal icing if desired. Store in the refrigerator. The pies like to stick together so store them in a single layer on parchment paper.
Classic Marshmallow Filling
- 1 (7 oz) container Marshmallow creme
- 1 cup vegetable shortening*
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Beat the Marshmallow creme and shortening on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Reduce to low and add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
*I don’t typically use that much shortening in a recipe but I tried numerous recipes and this is the only one that tasted like marshmallow filling. Feel free to use a different recipe if you prefer a healthier choice.