I wanted to make a special cake for John for his birthday yesterday. John is not a fan of birthday cake, especially the cloying sweetness the frosting. When I make cupcakes, I always set a few aside without frosting, just for him. This time I wanted something special, but easy. Half of our Cheese Shop crew is gone on vacation so I am putting in a few extra hours this week.
Grilled Pound Cake is fast and easy to make and it has just the right amount of sweetness. John wasn’t too sure when I put the cake on the barbecue grill, but he is now convinced that it’s what you need to do to a cake. Grilling gives the pound cake a nice crunch on the outside while keeping it warm and moist in the center, plus the touch of smoky flavor elevates the tang of the lemon. The Yogurt Cardamom Sauce was our daughter’s idea and recipe. The sauce is perfect with the crunchy cake and the floral note of the cardamom adds a lovely compliment in flavor. Based on those last few sentences, I think that I have been watching too much “Food Network” again.
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 ounces Appel Farms Quark
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream together the butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the quark, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low, gradually add flour, beating just until combined (do not overmix).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours (tent with aluminum foil if browning too quickly). Let cool in pan 15 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack. Cool completely then chill for a minimum of 30 minutes before grilling.
- Cut in 1/2 to 1 inch slices. Grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until lightly brown. Serve warm with Yogurt Cardamom Sauce (below).
Yogurt Cardamom Sauce
- 1/2 cup Appel Farms Yogurt (or Greek Yogurt)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Appel Farms Quark
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of salt
Whisk all the ingredients together, chill 1-2 hours. Both the cake and yogurt sauce can be made the day before.